Monday, July 11, 2016

A Day of Rest (Zion)


7-9-16

DAY 21

After yesterday's adventure, we decided to take the day off and just fool around in the Virgin River. Originally, we had planned to hike to Angel's Landing, although no one was interested in more hiking. Especially James. Of the five of us, James was by far the most thrilled to have a day to chill. We all slept like stones at the campground, it was probably some of the better nights I've had at a campground, even if we got there at 11:00 pm and had a dead tree at our site.

After a nice breakfast at a local Mexican place, we headed into the Zion visitor's center to figure out what we wanted to do for the day. After talking with a helpful ranger about some possible short hikes to watering holes, we decided on a quick visit to the Emerald Pools and to play in the water alongside the Pa'rus Trail. We debated riding the shuttle for 40 minutes to some of the farther destinations, but eventually settled with the above plan.


We spent most of the morning finding our way to the Pa'rus trail and, once arriving, playing in the gradually warming waters of the stream. After a couple hours, a few people came and went, one group of first time tubers entertaining us by attempting to go down rapids in a blown up row boat backwards. Maya and James had a ball playing with the current and some river birds and creatures, while Mama and Papa sat on a shaded big rock surveying their happy kids and talking with the Ellingsons about the Prouty. I read for a little, and splashed around a little, but I was a bit beat up from the previous day so I decided to just chill for the most part. 






After a simple lunch of PB & J sandwiches, we headed off to catch a ride on the shuttle. Thankfully, the previously crazy long line had shortened up a bit and we had to wait a mere 10 minutes before catching a ride. We even got seats, and I know that I slept, although I have no clue what was happening with the rest of the family. I assume I wasn't the only sleeper. 

After a 30 minute shuttle ride, we got off for a little treat of ice cream before walking round trip 1.6 mi to the Emerald Pools. They weren't emerald, I don't care what the finder saw. I know I heard enough people say "but they aren't emerald!" that I know this isn't my opinion alone. There was an informational stand saying that the pools algae gave the pools a beautiful emerald tint, although I think the sun would have to be at a very special angle for them to look emerald. If we had gone the extra 0.2 ish miles to the upper pool, maybe it would have been different. 



Fortunately, Maya was thrilled because there were a few deer down by the emerald pools that she could take pictures of.  It had said the pools was an unique oasis for many animals and plants alike, so the deer were quite perfect. 


As a "reward" for our walk to the Emerald pools, we then got to spend some more time playing in the Virgin River, which was now like a million times warmer. It was also in a deeper spot with a faster current, so even Mama and Papa spent a bunch more time with us in the water. The current was too strong to swim upstream no matter how hard you tried, so we settled on clinging to a rock beneath the current. Finally, it was time to go, so we grabbed our clothes and got back on the shuttle. 





1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fum day to just chill. Pop and I chilled at a river that flowed into Lake Michigan at Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes Nat'l Park.

    ReplyDelete